The Nutcracker Auditions
Photo by Mike Nyman Photography
Sunday, September 13, 2015
11:45 am - 6:15 pm
Acton School of Ballet* (directions)
3 Spruce Street, Acton, MA 01720
Auditions for non-company children for The Nutcracker will be held at
the studios of Acton School of Ballet on September 13.
Audition times depend on the age and experience of the dancer.
Dancers from all schools are invited to audition.
Download an audition application form (also available at the audition)
|Group 1: 11:45am - 1:30pm||Dancers 9 and 10 years old with at least two years of ballet training|
(Acton School of Ballet Level 3 & Level 4)
|Group 2: 1:45pm - 4pm||Dancers at least 11 years old with at least four years of ballet training|
(ASB Level 5 and up)
Please note Group 2 does not audition for pointe roles. Dancers in this age group who want to audition for pointe roles and meet the qualifications for Group 3 should come only to the Group 3 audition.
|Group 3: 4:15pm - 6:15pm||Dancers at least 13 years old with at least six years of ballet training. Female dancers must have at least two complete years of pointe study. (ASB Level 7 and up)|
Dancers in Group 3 will also be considered for non-pointe roles.
The doors open at 11:15 a.m. for registration.
- Please arrive at least 15 minutes prior to the scheduled start time to register.
- The fee for auditions is $20, cash or check payable to Commonwealth Ballet, due at registration prior to the audition.
- All roles regularly rehearse once a week on either Saturday or Sunday afternoon.
- All rehearsals take place at the Acton School of Ballet or the theatre.
- All roles rehearse both Saturday, November 21 and Sunday, November 22.
- All roles rehearse the weekend of December 5-6 (between performances).
- All cast members must attend the following theatre rehearsals:
- Tuesday evening, November 24: Blocking rehearsal at Acton-Boxborough Regional High School
- Wednesday evening, November 25: Dress rehearsal at ABRHS
- Tuesday evening, December 8: Blocking rehearsal at Regis College’s Casey Theatre
- Thursday evening, December 10: Dress rehearsal (no makeup) at Regis College’s Casey Theatre
- Rehearsal schedules are posted on the CBC web site at www.commonwealthballet.org, and families will be alerted by e-mail when changes are posted.
Because these are absolutely critical rehearsals, we must make the mandatory requirement firm. Accepting a role means agreeing to have your child rehearse on these days. Dancers missing more than one designated rehearsal may be replaced. Please do not have your child audition if you cannot make this commitment.
There is a non-refundable audition fee of $20 (cash or check payable to Commonwealth Ballet). Those dancers cast in The Nutcracker must also pay a production fee of $85, which includes a CBC Nutcracker T-shirt.
Casting decisions of the director are final. Dancers will be notified by individual email on or before September 25th with their role, rehearsal time, and start date. Dancers cast as Party Girls, Clara, Fritz & Mice will be notified by telephone or email by September 18th, as they begin rehearsals September 20th.
Parental participation is a requirement for each family’s commitment to the performance.
- At least 1 parent of each child in the cast must commit to assisting CBC during a minimum of 4 of the performances.
- This parent must also attend the parent meeting on Sunday October 18th 3pm at ASB where they will:
- Submit a CORI (Criminal Offender Record Information) form. BRING YOUR DRIVER’S LICENSE!!
- Be assigned their parent support tasks. For their completed participation, the parent will be offered a complimentary ticket. See Jeri Lee for details.
For more information, contact the Commonwealth Ballet office at (978) 263-6533.